#

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mustard and Beans

I can't decide if this post has more to do with my pregnancy or my maturity...wait, who's laughing!?

I love this part of pregnancy; morning sickness has subsided, you actually start to look pregnant as opposed to pudgy and your energy level is way up compared to the first or third trimester. The hunger factor, however, is stranger than ever! I still require about 6 meals a day or I go into jitter-mode but the cravings are absurd!

I have NEVER cared for ketchup or mustard on anything. My french fries are consumed dry and my hot dogs are garnished with mayo. Something about the tang-iness or the color, I don't know. But lately, I cannot find enough food to slather with mustard! My dad has this thing about people getting grossed out when they see him eating mustard with his popcorn and his reply is always, "Have you ever tried it? Then how do you know it's gross?" Dad, consider me a fan.

In the same way that I would never touch mustard with a 10 foot pole, I have always had a MAJOR aversion to beans. Any bean! I have vivid memories of having to linger at the dinner table as a kid because I refused to eat the 3 beans on my plate long after everyone had left the kitchen. It was never a taste thing, but a texture issue. Is it a potato, is it a tiny meat thing? Tiny, bursting, salty, potato-type pouches...repulsed me. So why is it that every cooking show I've tuned into lately that has beans as their main ingredient looks incredibly delicious!? And even though my husband swears that green beans aren't really beans (I'm sorry, but you can dispute something with the proof in the name), I have cooked fresh green beans with just about every meal. Yummy!

I would like to think that this newly discovered pallet can be credited to my wisdom and maturity. That I've gotten over whatever childish hang-ups I have with foods that I was told to at least try as a kid but did so kicking and screaming. But, you're right...it's probably just a 2nd trimester fluke that may or may not stick after this baby arrives. Only time will tell but for now--Hey, Dad! Look at me, I'm getting my protein and trying your concoctions :o)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I was really worried you were going to say that you were eating mustard and beans together. That would have been just plain gross. I'm glad you are branching out!

August 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You are the only other person I know that eats mayo with their hotdogs! Yummy!

August 31, 2007 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger laura said...

That's hilarious, I remember you saying you don't like beans! Enjoy them while you can! :)

August 31, 2007 at 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home