#

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Potty Training

I'm very aware of the differences between boys and girls, especially after having one of each.

Girls are dainty, soft, careful, cautious, nurturing and verbally advanced.

Boys are rough, tough, loud, physical, gritty, born knowing how to make a 'Vroom' sound when a truck is in their hand and not so quick to get the reason behind why things should be done quietly and neatly.

Potty training girls vs. boys has proved to be no exception! I explained to Maggie once why she would be much more comfortable putting her tee tee in the potty rather than doing it in her panties and she got it. Four days later and we were done!

Rory, frankly, could care less about being wet or dirty. He thinks it's funny to sit on the potty and loves the personal attention that it usually gives him...with no results. Five minutes later...business has been taken care of elsewhere. I thought for sure the lure of 'Nemo' or 'Bob Builder' on his undies would entice him not to pee all over them, but so far, that just means getting to put on a new pair and that's okay with him. Why is it that when he's in the shower, he can pee on cue and loves to try and get it right on the drain but when it comes to pointing it the toilet, that's such a different concept to him!?! Men!

I welcome any suggestions or creative devices (I'm not above bribery) for getting over this hump! Meanwhile...I'm tucking this picture away in a safe place to pull out for his rehearsal dinner slide show :o)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

This picture of Rory makes me smile! I wish I had wonderful tips for potty training. Braxton took forever...he's incredibly strong-willed and going to the potty was the one thing he had complete control over. We tried it all: stickers, presents, ice-cream, candy, Chuck-E-Cheese, targets in the potty, you name it!! It all boiled down to him going when he was good and ready! Good luck!

August 29, 2007 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

That is a hysterical picture! Sam was like Maggie, but Gabe has proven to be a little harder. Once I knew that he knew what it felt like to have to go (pee pee, not tee tee!) I just kept him in underwear when we were home. This past week, I've cut him off from pull ups, even when we go out. It was just a more gradual thing with him. I started the middle of July and this week he has gone everwhere in underwear and he has done great! Work on him at home for awhile and then see how he's doing. I also got to where I would only give Gabe treats when he was wearing undies and would go in the potty. Good luck...

I'm watching Top Chef.

August 29, 2007 at 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Carly! I was reading Robin's blog this morning and thought I would come on over...and your blog is so great!
I didn't know you were pregnant - congrats!
As for potty training, we tried diligently for about a week (15 minutes on the potty, 15 minutes off all day). The first day was great - I thought, "This is going to be much easier than I thought." Then each day got progressively WORSE! By the last day, Evan would stand up after sitting on the potty for 15 minutes and pee on the floor. So, I just figured he's not ready (interested, but not ready). We'll try again in a month or so. Let me know what works for you!

August 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Ha!! Love the picture!!He is so stink'n cute! Like I told you yesterday we did naked bum for two days and LOTS OF BRIBERY!! Three days and he was done!!

August 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home