#

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The World's Youngest Expert on All Things Elvis

If you were to ask my 4 and a half year old what her favorite song is, I'm afraid you wouldn't get the typical "Wheels on the Bus" type answer. She would probably answer you with either "It's Now or Never" or "Love Me Tender".

Here's the back story...my dad is a history, but especially music history, buff. He can recall dates, song titles, cities where artists are from like it's nothing. This is where I gained my love and knowledge of music and why I ended up choosing it as my major in college. But now, he has opened a whole new world to my daughter. The other day, he was singing "It's Now or Never" by Elvis in the kitchen while he was fixing dinner. She was curious to know what the song was about. Why is it now or never? Why won't the lady in the song just tell the man that she loves him? And why might tomorrow be too late? This led to some explaination from my dad about Elvis and who he was and even a trip into the YouTube world so Maggie could see what he looked like and hear some other songs that he sang. That was all it took for her to want to know more...more...more about this Elvis guy. They even stumbled upon a documentary on tv the other night and she can tell you all about Graceland and his airplane named The Lisa Marie! I enjoy Elvis just as much as the next guy but this girl is obsessed! She requests that I find him on my iPod everytime we get in the car and sings all of the lyrics and even said the other day, "He's so handsome when he sings this song"!!! For some reason, Elvis has been everywhere these days and she is quick to call me to the tv for a commercial that he's in or Time Life collection of his greatest hits infomercial. I'm not sure if I should encourage this behavior or not but now, even her little brother is requesting that I put on "Elbis" so we can dance around the living room. I guess I'll have to take her to Graceland soon!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I think the anniversary of his death is tomorrow, but don't tell Maggie that! By the way, I only know that because it's my mom's birthday!

August 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I love it Carly! Please take her to Graceland!

August 14, 2007 at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home