#

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Incident

My good friend, Amy met us at Chic-fil-A today for lunch. She is practically an Aunt to my kids. They love her and she spoils them!

The kids had finished eating and run off to play on the playground (one of the many benefits to Chic-fil-A so that the grown-ups can actually have a conversation) when Amy paused and said....

"oh...oh no! There's a little girl hitting Rory!"

***I would like to disclaim that we were sitting directly in front of the playroom window but Rory was out of my peripheral and directly in Amy's.

I turned in time to see a little girl with a huge bow in her hair, not more than 3 years old, who had backed my little punkin into a corner and was clawing his face repeatedly.

I was holding Sully so it was Aunt Amy to the rescue! She ran in and told the little scratcher, "No, do not hit", scooped Rory up and whisked him away.

He was so stunned when he got to me and never cried but just sat in my arms bewildered.
"She wouldn't let me out of the door." He had red marks all over his sweet little cheeks. "Why she do that?" he asked.

I wish I knew. I'm sure that she wasn't trying to be malicious but what would possess a little girl to do that?

I was so proud that Rory didn't rear back and punch her (which he would have been justified in doing). Then when the kids went back to play, Maggie shot the little girl an evil-eye...the likes of which I've never seen! She acted as his body guard for the rest of their playtime and that, too, made me so proud.

Where was the mother in all of this, you ask? She was two feet away but never saw any of it. Should I have said something to her? What would I have said? "Lady, you're kid needs a scratching post at home so she won't do it on my son's face?"

Thank you, Amy for being there to help me intervene in the face of that little bully in polka-dots!

Have you ever been in a situation like that?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, that's tough.

I would do just what you did and explain that not everyone makes good choices, but that he did a good job by not hitting back. He did exactly was Jesus taught and turned the other cheek. Sweet Rory.

March 31, 2008 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

OHHHH that makes me so mad! It's so hard to know what to do in that situation, espeically with the baby. I'm glad Amy was there to help you out! I probably would have said something to the mother and I certainly would have said something to the little girl. I used to be shy about that kind of thing until I heard someone say that I was my childs advocate, and that they needed to see me stand up for them, so they knew it wasn't okay to be treated that way. Especially when they are young and sweet and precious like Rory and don't understand how to react. I'm glad Maggie kept her eye on that girl the rest of the time! I'd also want someone to tell me if my kids did something like that. Poor, sweet Rory!

March 31, 2008 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Ughh...that makes me so mad for that sweet little guy! I usually talk really loud around the mom so she knows to watch her little girl..."Oh Rory I am sooo sorry that little girl scratched you...that wasn't nice." NICE and LOUD so she goes and gets that little brat and knocks some sense into her!!

April 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sugar and Spice ?

Tell Rory to beware of sweet little girls with huge bows in their hair.

April 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Teri Dufilho said...

well, that breaks my heart for sweet little huggy-bear rory!.... i am officially mad at the little girl's parents!...give rory a big ol' hug from nana ... and maggie, too! :)

April 3, 2008 at 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so the same thing happened to jonah... and it was at a chick-fil-a playground as well! it was a 5 yr old- looking boy (way to big to be in the playground) and jonah was in the corner being punched at! i, too, couldn't believe it! thankfully, we were eating with robin and matt carr and all of the kiddos, so matt c. jumped up with me and we ran in there.
i tried not to make a big deal about it with jonah, but in the car he told me, "it's ok, momma." i had to tell him that it was not ok and that sometimes people do things because they are wanting to be mean and that we need to look them in their eyes and tell them, "stop!" and get your little sister and find a grownup.
i am sorry that sweet rory had to meet a chick-fil-a bully, too.

April 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home