#

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Loosing Touch

Beth Moore never ceases to amaze me. If you are a woman and you've never seen her speak, I highly encourage you to. I used to hear her name so much and just kind of thought, "Hmm, I wonder what's so great about her?" Then I got involved with a couple of her studies and WOW! She hits the nail on the head so many times on a variety of things relating to being a Christian woman. I could go on and on but the point of this post is to tell you about the thing she said today that really hit home for me.

Relationships. Friends.

Who are your closest friends? Let's redefine close.

Who knows you....really knows you?

Most of the women in my life who I truly feel know me are people from my childhood/school/college. Why is that?

We have become so technology dependent that I often find myself texting my husband and IMing my sister. How can we get invested in someone's life if we can't even bring ourselves to have a conversation with them?

I think about all of the time that I spend emailing friends instead of giving them a call. God forbid that the sharing of important information turn into an actual conversation where you take turns sharing in each other's lives.

Beth also touched on our society's obsession with gossip magazines and celebrity buzz. There is something in all of us to relate with people and to share in the lives of friends and because we aren't taking the time to connect with each other...we get it by reading about celebrities lives and then texting our "close" friends.

I hate to borrow an Oprah phrase but this was such an "A-ha" moment for me.

How will our children learn to develop relationships with people if they are taught to communicate devoid of emotion or effort?

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Carly,

That really hit home with me too.

You are awesome!

Love you,
Janet S.

May 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home