#

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Kid's work

If your family is anything like mine, you just try and get through the week and save the re-grouping and organization for the weekends. As I was cleaning off the counter today, I came across a giant stack of Maggie's school work. Worksheets, drawings, craft projects, etc. I consider myself a sentimental person who likes to hold on to meaningful things and typically, I pull out the things that showcase her personality or great strides and acheivements in education but for the most part, I just toss the stuff that seems to me to be busy-work.

Well today, she went to put something in the garbage can and spotted a giant stack of her hard work and time laying among the other household refuse and got upset with me.

What do you do with your child's work? My refrigerator is only so big and after that, aren't you just adding to clutter by piling it up somewhere? Casey says (of a lot of the things that I save) "What, so you're going to pull it out and look at it in ten years and then what? We have an attic full of stuff just so one day you can look at it for five minutes and then store it again?"

Now that Rory's in school I've got double the paperwork coming in and you can only save so many finger paintings, right?! I'd love to get some suggestions.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

I don't have that issue yet, but I did see on Oprah, some organizational guy suggested making your favorites into a book through a place like Snapfish or something, that way you have a new coffee table book!

January 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I used to babysit for a family that got a huge poster-sized frame for each child and hung it at their eye level in a hallway. They chose a handful of meaningful pieces of artwork or classwork and made a collage within the frame and changed it out a few times a year or seasonally. I have always thought it was a great way to show off their stuff!!!

January 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Tanni said...

I am exactly like you. I keep what is meaningful...handprints and such and throw away the rest. Gavin seems to always find it in the trash. I have gotten a little more creative with disposing of it. However, as the other 2 start bringing home more I have thought about making a wall in my laundry room for them to display their precious art until it makes its final destination. :)

Something else that I have done...is taken a picture of the art and then it is always on the computer if they want to see it....or if you wanted to do something creative with it one day.

Sorry for writing a book!

Blessings,
Tanni

January 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Ashley McWhorter said...

We ONLY save what has a hand print or something sentimental on it. Everything else gets tossed. Oh, and what I do save, I put in our filing cabinet (they each have a file folder). Hope this helps. :)

January 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Im like Ashley. Toss most but very carefully! I have a file for each kid and each grade level or preschool level. I like Tanni's idea of taking a picture of it, you can make a file of it all on the computer and put it on a disc and file the disc.

January 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Between the Dreaming said...

I definitely could have written this!! I am the same...only save sweet, sweet stuff and toss the rest. But the tossing is the tricky part! I toss and then stack something on top of it, because little missy always seems to find it too. She has even seen it through the trash bag as it is being carried out the back door! Now, instead I fold..then trash, then stack on top of. In that order. :)) I can't imagine what it will be like with 3 in grade-school. Good thing we recycle! I also, have small tubs in the hallway closet that is filed every year. :)) Love this post!

January 11, 2009 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

I have a cardboard filing box for each kid and throw all the crap there to one day go through. LOL...so I am not the one to ask. G and E each have a box that I need to pilfer through. I did see the oprah snapfish book, it was cool...and I also used to teach a boy who's mom framed one art piece of each kid a year and had her entire office decorated with the kids work. It was a really neat room. On one of those home makeover shows they did a big grid on the wall and had a big clip in each square and the artwork got put on that wall. Good luck.....

January 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Lots of great ideas! I saw an idea in a magazine that said to make placemats out of the artwork and then rotate it out after a month or however often you desire.

Also, you could mail it to grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts and uncles to let them share in the artwork/schoolwork. This builds up your child because you're sharing it with others who will undoubtedly "brag" on them the next time they see the kids. This would be great for any age.

January 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home